Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 48 - Tuesday (appliances)

Appliances!! They look awesome!!




As Pieter put it, it looks like a real kitchen now! Tomorrow the microwave will be in. The fridge is plugged in - water and all - and Shane is going to try to get the range outlet live soon so that we can have that too. The dishwasher, unfortunately, will have to wait until after the cabinets.

Wow!!

Speaking of the dishwasher, when we bought appliances, we chose to keep our old dishwasher. We like it, and we didn't like any of the ones that came with the suites. I didn't want to sacrifice features I like (like fold-down tines, and a time display on the front panel) for a matching appliance. But of course, now that I look at it, the dishwasher does look a little dated. It is also bisque, not white. I told myself it wouldn't matter - and I'm not sure it does - because the dishwasher is not even on the same wall as the other appliances. We could spend $200 to buy a new front panel that is white, but that seems silly. And still, the dishwasher would look dated. If you are reading this, what do you think?? Leave me a comment.

In further news, Shane has reinstalled our banister correctly. It fell off years ago, and Pieter and I tried to fix it with the help of our home teacher. The best that can be said for that is that it worked until about 2 months ago - right in time for Shane to come along!


Also, we are working on our basement layout. Here's a preview:




There is certainly too much furniture in this room, but the problem is that some things are non-negotiable (like the old couch corner - Alyssa was promised it, but more importantly, it is the only remaining couch piece that Harley will be allowed to sleep on. I need some sanity, after all!) Other pieces are just nice to have, like the old kitchen table. I think I'm far more likely to play games or do puzzles with the kids if I don't have to sit on the floor to do it! And then there is my old dresser (you can't see it in the picture). I don't want to get rid of that; it's a nice piece of furniture, and it holds dress-ups. You can never have too many tiaras! The pool table we keep debating about. Just when we think no one plays with it, we unearth it from underneath a mound of garbage toys, and everyone gets interested again. I do have a house full of tweens, and it kind of seems like something they'd do.

No comments:

Post a Comment