Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 26 - Monday (paint)

Today Shane told me that he was having an inspection. Tomorrow.

The problem is, the inspector might go downstairs. And the basement was not part of the permit. And if he sees the basement in a state of remodeling, he will surmise that Shane is doing that too, and we/and/or/Shane will get fined or something bad. (If you live in Salt Lake, you know this game -- our 50+ year old houses are hopelessly out of code, and almost impossible to bring up to date. We do the best we can, make sure things are safe, and then do a little bit of tap dancing around inspectors)

Bottom line: I needed to prime the basement ceiling so it didn't look like a construction zone. I started at 1:30, and Shane, thinking I would never get done in time, called off the inspection.

I showed him! I painted and painted and painted. I called Pieter at 3:30 when our friends were calling to see if we could get together, and the kids needed a ride to piano. He said he'd call me back -- and then 5 minutes later, he showed up!! My hero took the kids to piano and took care of our lives so that I could keep on painting. I painted through piano lessons, and then through dinner. Finally, 6 hours and 2 very sore arms later, I finished. I was so excited!

Check out my handiwork. I'm tempted to just not ever really paint the ceiling, but just leave it primed, 'cause it really looks fine -- but we are really planning to paint on Saturday morning. If we are lucky, Saturday afternoon, we may even get to put some furniture out (like Jeffrey's bed!) And next week, our new couch is coming! It's starting to feel like a portion of this remodel is done -- or almost done!

Upstairs, Shane has ripped the old floor off of the landing at the top of the stairs. It seemed to come off pretty easily, but it took the threshold with it. Shane suggested we consider a new door as well. We agree.

Also, Shane's been working on putting the pipe under the sink into the wall. There won't be room for it with the new cabinet.

Now for some ibuprofin and a hot shower. Oh, my aching arms!!

No comments:

Post a Comment