Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 27 - Tuesday (there's insulation all over the place!)

I walked into the kitchen today to a huge pile of insulation everywhere!! Well, that and a bunch of new holes in my ceiling. The electrician had also opened up an attic access point in the middle of the room. It was a mess!

I walked back in about a half hour later and found that all of the holes were filled with recessed lighting. And again about a half hour after that, I found the room cleaned up and the electricians gone! Fast work, guys!

Before Tony (the electrician) left, he regaled me with stories of the sordid types of wires he found in my attic. Covered up electrical boxes, extension cords, that sort of thing. It's not that I was really surprised; when we moved in, we found all sorts of things like that. But I thought - hoped - that we had found it all and removed it. Thank goodness for good electricians. If there is one thing I really do not want, it's a fire in my attic.

I have to parenthetically tell a little story about my electrician. The first thing we did as part of this remodel was to upgrade the electrical service coming from the street. While Tony was here, we asked him if he could put a light at the top of our stairwell. He and I had like a 10 minute conversation while he tried to explain to me that in order to make that light a 3-way switch (with the top and bottom of the stairs), he was going to have to go all the way from the bottom switch up to the attic. Not knowing much about wiring, I was just trying to get out of him if this job would be too much trouble. He, on the other hand, was trying to make sure that I didn't mind if he cut into my walls. Really?? Do I mind if you cut into my walls?

It's kind of funny now for obvious reasons. Tony didn't, at that moment, realize just how extensively he'd be hammering indiscriminately everywhere in my kitchen.

 I went back by the house late tonight, and found lot of new things. Shane has apparently finished the kitchen sink area, because the floor is covered again.

But he's had to open up the wall in another place. It seems that since this was once two different rooms, the walls are not exactly, shall we say, straight. Actually, they're not at all straight. I'm glad this is his headache, not mine.

And finally tonight, Nathan found a hole in his ceiling.

He hasn't been exactly happy about this remodel, and when he saw that they'd put a hole in his room, he went to tears. I tried to tell him that it's for a smoke detector - and not just any smoke detector, but one that's hooked to mine!! He's still mad about it. He doesn't want wires hanging into his room or sawdust on his floor. Yeah, I know. Tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment