I thought today would be a calm day. Sigh. That never really happens to me!
Alyssa chose to go to church with her grandma this morning, and got sick while she was there. Luckily she made it to the house before she threw up. I feel horrible for Dorothy; she deserves a medal today. I was initially worried that it was the flu, but after watching Alyssa, I think she either has strep or a strep-like bug. Her throat "feels like pine needles are in it," her legs hurt so much she couldn't walk to tell her grandma she felt sick, and the back of her neck hurts. Also, her teacher's daughter, one of her best friend's sisters, and my Primary President's son have all had strep in the last week or so. However, her fever is negligible, and she seems much better already. Who knows!
Also today, we had to go get Harley from our house and bring him to Dorothy's for the duration of the remodel. She had been reluctant to have him here, mostly because he has seizures about once a month, and when that happens, he looses control over his bodily functions. She cannot afford to replace carpet, and I can't blame her. I feel like we are already all over her house in every other way, and I didn't want to impose Harley on her as well. Besides, seizures are honestly the easy part with him. He eats anything he finds on the floor, jumps onto furniture, and is generally rambunctious. In short, he's a dog! We were trying to make the situation work by leaving him at home and visiting him 3 times each day: breakfast, dinner, and mid-day. I have asked my immediate neighbors to keep an eye -- and ear -- out and let me know how he is. This morning I fed him on time, took him for a walk, sat with him for another half hour, and then left. Within a half hour, he started barking and didn't stop. I got 3 texts, a phone call, and a voice mail from my neighbor who I asked to keep me informed, and we also got a notice on our door from animal control. I felt horrible about this!! I so don't want to annoy my neighbors, but I'm honestly trying to figure out the best solution here!! I wish I knew who complained so I could talk to them and let them know what the situation was and that we are remedying it. I also feel horrible about bringing Harley down here to Dorothy's house. This is not what she wanted, and now we have invaded her house with not only our whole family, but a cat with a litter box and a barking, seizure-prone dog. I just don't know what else to do.
With regard to the house, we took Russell, Jeanette, and Steven up to the house to discuss the basement and speaker wire. We're thinking that "as long as the basement ceiling is open . . . " Just feel free to add any ending to the sentence here. We've probably either considered it or done it already.
Of particular concern at this moment is the placement of possible speakers and a receiver. Unfortunately, the couch we were intending to buy from my friend, Emily, wouldn't fit down our stairs. This complicates our decision about furniture placement, which in turn, complicates the decision about speakers. Steven and Russell think it would make sense to go ahead and wire extra speaker positions - one in every corner, and 2 on the long sides of the room, half-way down. That way, we could have speakers in the 4 corners for almost any configuration that we may come up with. The receiver is another story, but honestly, if we wire it in a specific place, I think it can stay there whether or not the tv is sitting next to it. It sounds like we have a lot of wiring in our future, which is going to cost a little bit more than I thought. Sounds like the story of any remodel!
So now I am trying to finish figuring out the canned light placement for the family room and Jeffrey's room (I spend last night making detailed drawings and this evening measuring my parent's recessed light placement), catch up on blogging, catch up on scripture reading (I have to prepare for a talk I'm giving in I think two Sundays), and try to get some sleep. I just hope this all works out.
No comments:
Post a Comment