Tile. Decisions. More tile.
I've seen so many tiles that they are all looking the same!! I don't mean to make this a bigger deal than it is, but it's not like we're going to re-tile the kitchen later on if we don't like how the floor looks. It's not like paint -- this is permanent. Permanent. No pressure here. . .
I keep going to stores and getting what I think I want, but then when I get it home, it doesn't exactly do it for me. We got a few that we liked at Bedrosians, but Pieter likes one of them better (the hymera), I like the other one better (a little bit), and I have just kept searching . . . and searching . . .
This week I finally realized I need "professional" help, so I emailed our neighbor Stacy Butcher. She is an interior designer, and I asked if she'd come and look at our samples and give us an opinion. Thursday was crazy, but I was so excited to meet with her! Finally at 7:40 pm we all got together, and she looked at our samples, and gave us a few thoughts. Then she offered to go with me to the tile store!! Seriously?? So awesome!
So this morning I met Stacy at Daltile. Wow. Stacy is awesome!! She pulled out samples that were different than those I had been finding, and it really gave me some perspective about the floor. There was one in particular that I liked the most, but something really interesting happened when Pieter and I finally went to the house and looked at the new samples. We looked at all of the tile, and with the new perspective that Stacy had given me, we made a decision!! It actually wasn't even the tile that Stacy and I had gotten that morning, but it was the journey through liking that tile that brought me solidly to the hymera. (that's the one from Bedrosians that Pieter liked in the first place!) It's not that I'm settling, either -- now that I've really looked at a good range of options, I feel so good about this tile, and I can't tell you how great that feels! It's like a huge burden has been lifted. Everything else seems like it's going to work out now! We have chosen - and are excited about - a cabinet, a countertop, and tile!! Those are the three biggest things, and the three most permanent. There will be other decisions, but somehow, I feel like the major pieces are all in place.
So also today, we went shopping at our favorite furniture store, Ashley. We've been looking in the want ads for a couch ever since Emily's couch didn't fit down our stairwell. We have a big dumpster in our driveway right now, so we can easily dump the old couch (it's not even DI-worthy) if we make a decision. Of course, the problem is making the decision. We want something that all of us will fit on, but we need it to be less than 9 feet long. So we went to Ashley and fell in love with the most comfortable couch in the universe! It's a small sectional, one with both sides that are the same length (so it's like a full corner, not like an "L"). It's dark brown, which may be a concern. We're trying to decide. It's also microfiber, which I know is a cleaning issue, but it is what we have decided we want down there. But when we sat on it, oooooh, we knew this was the couch for us! It's a little bit more than the couch we were going to buy from Emily, but not too much. (of course, it will be a lot more when we pay for scotch guard and delivery -- but I think I know where to take the money from). We probably would have just bought it last night, but I felt like I needed to play with my little graph of the family room. I wasn't sure everything would fit.
So as I was making dinner, I made a little cut out of the couch that was just the right size and scale for my graph. I moved all of the little pieces of furniture around the room, and I have come to the conclusion that this couch will work! Aaah, again, such a relief! We are hoping to take the kids over to Ashley tomorrow, and assuming that they are on-board (and that we can talk them out of saving large pieces of furniture we don't really need in the family room!) we are hoping to buy our new couch tomorrow!!
For the first time in probably months, I'm finally beginning to feel at peace regarding this remodel. There is still a ton to be done, but like I said before, I feel like all of the major pieces are falling into place. It's such a great feeling!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment